Folks are hitting the road in great numbers this summer, and gas prices are helping them save on their vacations.
Vice president of petroleum at BJs Wholesale Club, Krystyna Kosta, says that low fuel prices are enticing people onto the road this summer, as well as driving sales of propane for camp outs and barbecues.
Kosta keeps an eye on travel trends and gas prices, being responsible for overseeing 128 BJs Gas stations across the country. She said gas prices are down almost 50 cents a gallon compared to last summer. Paired with a plentiful supply of gas, that makes this year a great one to take a road trip. Demand for gas is estimated to be at the highest it’s been since 2007.
BJs has offered five guidelines for folks looking to save even more on gas this summer:
1. Fill up before you head out. Map out where you’ll stop for gas ahead of time, so you have a plan to hit the places where prices are lowest, or where you get a discount with a rewards credit card or customer loyalty program.
2. Don’t forget to fill up the tires. The gas tank isn’t the only thing that needs filling. Keeping tires properly inflated helps drivers get better gas mileage. Always check the recommended tire pressure for your vehicle before you pack up the car and head out. And don’t forget to do this for the spare tire, too.
3. Use a credit card at the pump. If you have a gas rewards credit card, use it. Lots of cards offer deals on gas. For example, BJs offers 10 cents off per gallon for My BJs Perks MasterCard holders. Other cards offer up to 2% or even 3% cash back on gas purchases.
4. Pack light. Excess weight on tires causes you to get fewer miles per gallon. Pack only what you need, keep your car light, and get the best gas mileage. Fuel economy is best when the car is carrying less.
5. Grilling smarts count too. Propane tanks should be filled ahead of time if you’re planning to camp out and barbecue on your road trip. BJs offers refill and exchange on propane.
No matter where you’re driving, a great credit card will offer you purchase protection, concierge service in case you need assistance on the road, car rental insurance provisions, and the reassurance that if you need access to extra funds, you will have options.